History of Yeongju
Three Kingdoms Period
- Naegi-gun and Geupbeolsan-gun in Goguryeo
- Occupied by King Pasa of Silla
- Subjugated into Silla (around 100 A.D.)
Unified Silla Period
- Naegi-gun was renamed "Naeryeong-gun."
- Gimokjin Military Post was established in the Punggi area.
- Gimokjin was renamed “Giju,” and Geupsan-gun,“Heungju."
- Naryeong-gun was renamed “Gangju,” then “Sunan” (1143) and “Yeongju” (1259).
- Geupbeolsan-gun was renamed “Heungju,” then “Sunjeong.”
- Sunheung was promoted to the administrative unit bu status.
- Sunan was renamed “Yeongcheon,” and the county governor was appointd there. Giju was renamed “Gicheon-hyeon.”
- As King Munjong's retreat, the region was renamed after the two villages of Eunpung and Gicheon.
- Sunheung was promoted to a protectorate general.
- Sunheung Protectorate General was divided and incorporated into Pyebu, Yeongcheon-gun, and Bonghwa-myeon.
- Sunheung Protectorate General was reinstated.
- By Decree No.28, the region was placed under the jurisdiction of Andong-bu (32nd year of King Gojong's reign, 1895).
Japanese Colonial Period
- By the Administrative Decree No. 111, Yeongcheon-gun, Punggi-gun, and Sunheung-gun were merged into Yeongju-gun.
- By Administrative Decree No. 221, Yeongju-myeon was promoted to Yeongju-eup.
After Korea's Liberation
- Punggi-myeon was promoted to Punggi-eup.
- Yeongj-eup was promoted to Yeongju-si, and Punggi-eup and nine myeons were separated and merged into Yeongpung-gun.
- Yeongju-si and Yeongpung-gun were merged.