History of Yeongju

Three Kingdoms Period

  • Naegi-gun and Geupbeolsan-gun in Goguryeo
  • Occupied by King Pasa of Silla
  • Subjugated into Silla (around 100 A.D.)

Unified Silla Period

  • Naegi-gun was renamed "Naeryeong-gun."
  • Gimokjin Military Post was established in the Punggi area.

Goryeo Period

  • Gimokjin was renamed “Giju,” and Geupsan-gun,“Heungju."
  • Naryeong-gun was renamed “Gangju,” then “Sunan” (1143) and “Yeongju” (1259).
  • Geupbeolsan-gun was renamed “Heungju,” then “Sunjeong.”
  • Sunheung was promoted to the administrative unit bu status.

Joseon Period

  • Sunan was renamed “Yeongcheon,” and the county governor was appointd there. Giju was renamed “Gicheon-hyeon.”
  • As King Munjong's retreat, the region was renamed after the two villages of Eunpung and Gicheon.
  • Sunheung was promoted to a protectorate general.
  • Sunheung Protectorate General was divided and incorporated into Pyebu, Yeongcheon-gun, and Bonghwa-myeon.
  • Sunheung Protectorate General was reinstated.
  • By Decree No.28, the region was placed under the jurisdiction of Andong-bu (32nd year of King Gojong's reign, 1895).

Japanese Colonial Period

  • By the Administrative Decree No. 111, Yeongcheon-gun, Punggi-gun, and Sunheung-gun were merged into Yeongju-gun.
  • By Administrative Decree No. 221, Yeongju-myeon was promoted to Yeongju-eup.

After Korea's Liberation

  • Punggi-myeon was promoted to Punggi-eup.
  • Yeongj-eup was promoted to Yeongju-si, and Punggi-eup and nine myeons were separated and merged into Yeongpung-gun.
  • Yeongju-si and Yeongpung-gun were merged.